Tonight is the first time we've made Maw Maw's Spaghetti in our new home. On that thought, I might not have made it anywhere but in North Carolina. Still getting used to life in Massachusetts, this is an extremely comforting meal as we near our two months in MA mark.
I have several recipes of hers in her handwriting. This isn't one of them. It's gone through a couple hands. Everyone in my family loves this recipe. After she stopped cooking, my Mom would attempt to make it and fail according to my taste buds. About four years ago my Dad wanted to try it, edited the recipe a bit, and there it was! Maw Maw's Spaghetti as my taste buds remember it.
I recall asking her where this came from. I think it was something she had at a friend or neighbors house. She either tried to copy the recipe from taste or asked the friend or neighbor for it.
While I realize this won't be as nostalgia filled for others as it is for me, I wanted to share it because (nostalgia aside) it's damn delicious and will cause your home to smell wonderful. Also, unless you're feeding a lot of people or are super hungry, this will provide you with lots of leftovers!
Maw Maw's Spaghetti
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey (this could probably be vegetarian and still be good)
- 1 small-ish (or large, if you really like mushrooms) can/jar of mushrooms, drained!
- 1 big can of crushed tomatoes (I usually get them with basil)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (I know, right?!)
- 1 tsp allspice (I know, right?!)
- salt, pepper, and butter all you want
- Spaghetti noodles, duh.
- Sautée the green pepper, onions, and celery in butter on medium until softened.
- While this is happening, you can brown your beef/turkey.
- Once you feel the veggies are softened enough and the beef is done, add everything else (except the spaghetti) to the main pot. Mix it up and let it cook for awhile. These are pretty vague directions but the longer the better. I think we average maybe 30-40 minutes?
- While your sauce is getting good, this is an excellent time to make the spaghetti noodles themselves according to their directions.
- Bowl + noodles + sauce. Eat with utensil.